The Health & Safety at Work Act 1974 and various other Acts
clearly state obligations to address cable hazards…
- There are an estimated 20 million workstations in the UK – the average office worker accounts for 20 metres of exposed cabling.
- There are an average of 500 trips daily in our workplaces – some have devastating consequences – cable hazards are a common cause.
- 2.1 million work days were lost in 2015 due to slips, trips & falls.
- Damaged cables or overloaded socket blocks can create electric shock and fire risks.
- Approximately 3,000 electrical fires from cables, wires and plugs occur in the UK annually.
- Socket blocks and associated cable clutter can be impossible to clean around, creating breeding grounds for dust mite allergens.
Accidents, injuries and lost productivity from cable hazards are almost entirely preventable.